If you know of a Northern Colorado literary event (book signing, reading, etc.) that is not included in this blog, or have a link to a literary site that you like, or just want to share a wonderful word, send a message with the details to beth@secondletter.com. Click here for submission guidelines.

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Sleepy Bear

 

A little editorializing today before getting to the Haibun du jour.  What is a “Haibun” anyway?  As many of you know, it is a Japanese poetry form combining a brief (ideally 60-80 word) dense prose piece with a Haiku.  It is often related to travel and is one way to approach a travel journal.  That is what I am doing here on my blog while visiting the Alaska Peninsula for several weeks. 

Here is a revised version of yesterday’s Haiku:  I think that the shift in speaker (from me to the bear) was confusing.


Do not run, do not.
Though your feet are a foot more
You lumber, not run.


Sleepy bear

Just when I was thinking the bears never do anything but eat, I am seeing more bear napping.  Why?  Could be I am just noticing more details now that the shine has faded a bit on the wonder of seeing so many bears so close. Or maybe the bears are working up to the hibernation they know is only about a month away, cued by diminishing daylight (sunset 9:30 now vs 11:30) and lower temperatures —highs in the 50’s instead of 60’s?  Are the bellies nearing the salmon saturation tipping point?

Trees and bears all know
Summer is twisting the panes,
Ready to shutter.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for explaining the haibun. Fun way to write about travel! I think I thought you were supposed to lumber instead of run in order to not entice the bears to chase you! Oops!

    ReplyDelete